Gemology is the science, art and profession of identifying and evaluating gemstones. It is considered as a part of geosciences and a branch of mineralogy. Some jewelers are academically trained gemologists and are qualified to identify and evaluate gems.
To become a Professional in the Gem industry one should have a graduate degree or at least a Diploma in Gemology. The degree and postgraduate degree courses are offered by the private and government colleges in India and around the globe.
Basic eligibility criteria 10th, +2 (Higher Secondary students) with science group as the majors can choose Bachelor degree in Gemology.
Course Duration: Training in this field is available at a number of schools and institutes all over India. These courses are offered at the levels of
• Diploma in Gemology is around two years.
• B.F.A (Gemology) is around three years.
• M.F.A (Gemology) is offered as a two year program.
What will be the cost or fee of Gemology course
The Total expense for doing degree in Gemology is as follows
B.F.A - Rs.15, 000/ per year - (3 Years)
M.F.A - Rs.35, 000/ per year - (2 Years)
Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administrative.
The salary can be from Rs.12, 000 to Rs.16, 000 for starters and increases with the persons experience and knowledge.
Top institutes or colleges of Gemology
• Aligarh Muslim University
• Gemstones Artisans Training School
• Indian Diamond Institute
• National Institute Of Fashion Design
• St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
• International Institute of Gemological Sciences, Delhi
• Indian Gemological Institute, Delhi
• Arch Institute of Fashion & Design, Jaipur
• SG Jhaveri Center for Diamond Technology, Mumbai
• Jewellery Design & Technology institute(JDTI), Nodia
• Arihant Diamond Institute, Surat
• Solitaire Diamond Institute (SDI), Bangalore (Karnataka)
• P.D Institute of Gem Stone Manufacturing and Management, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
• Gem Testing Laboratory, Jaipur (Rajasthan)