Genetic engineering, recombinant DNA technology, genetic modification / manipulation (GM) and gene splicing are terms that apply to the direct manipulation of an organism's genes.
Genetic engineering is different from traditional breeding, where the organism's genes are manipulated indirectly. Genetic engineering uses the techniques of molecular cloning and transformation to alter the structure and characteristics of genes directly. Genetic engineering techniques have found some successes in numerous applications. Some examples are in improving crop technology, the manufacture of synthetic human insulin through the use of modified bacteria, the manufacture of erythropoietin in hamster ovary cells, and the production of new types of experimental mice such as the oncomouse (cancer mouse) for research.
To become a Professional in the Genetic industry one should have a graduate degree or at least a Diploma in related fields. The degree and postgraduate degree courses are offered by the private and government colleges in India and around the globe.
Basic eligibility criteria: 10th, +2 (Higher Secondary students) with Bio group as the majors can choose Bachelor degree in Bio technology/Genetic engineering (B.E).
The course duration for the various programs is as follows:
• Diploma in Genetics is around three years.
• B.Tech/B.E, Bio technology/Genetics is around four years.
• B.Sc Bio technology is around three years.
• M.Sc, M.Tech (Genetics), is offered as a two year program in various universities.
What will be the cost or fee of Genetic engineering
The Total expense for doing Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology/Genetics is as follows
B.E - Rs.20, 000/ per year - (4 Years)
B.E - Rs.30, 000/ per year - (2 Years)
Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administrative.
The salary can be from Rs.10, 500 to Rs.28, 000 for starters and increases with the persons experience and knowledge.
Top institutes or colleges of Genetic engineering
• University of Delhi, South Campus, New Delhi - 21
• Osmania University, Hyderabad - 500 007.
• Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana - 141004
• The Indian Institute of Technology(IIT)
• IIT- Guwahati
• Bharathiar University, Coimbatore-641 046, TN
• Calicut University, Kozhikode-673 635, Kerala
• Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu-25.
• Centre for Biotechnology, Pondicherry University, Pondichery-605 014.
• Centre for Plant molecular biology, Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore-641 003
• Department of Zoology, Poona University, Pune-411 007, Maharashtra.
• Indian Institute of Technology, Powai, Mumbai-400 076.
• University of Kerala, Thiruvananthaouram-34, Kerala.
• University of Madras, Centenary Building Chepauk, Triplicane PO, Chennai-600 005, Tamil Nadu
• Jiwaji University, Gwalior-474 011.