Dentistry is the art and science of diagnosing, preventing and treating problems of the teeth and the adjacent soft and hard tissues, to enhance esthetics and function.
With repeated use and abuse of the teeth, it is common to have dental problems like decay, cavities and fracture due to accidents. By nature, some have misshapen teeth or misaligned teeth.
Dentists clean the teeth, fill cavities, examine x-rays, place protective plastic sealants on children’s teeth, straighten teeth, and repair fractured teeth. They also perform corrective surgery on gums and supporting bones to treat gum diseases. Dentists extract teeth and make models and measurements for dentures to replace missing teeth. They advice on diet, brushing, flossing, the use of fluoride toothpastes, and other oral hygiene related topics.
To become a professional in Dental Science, one should have a graduate degree (B.D.S/M.D.S.) in Dental Science or its related fields. The degree and postgraduate degree courses are offered by the private and government colleges in India.
Basic eligibility criteria:
+2 (Higher Secondary students) with Biology group as major can choose Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Science.
The course duration for the various programs is as follows:
• B.D.S (Bachelor’s Degree in Dental surgery) is 4+1 years.
• M.D.S (Masters in Dental surgery) is 2 years.
Most dental schools abroad award the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). The rest award an equivalent degree, Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD).
What will be the cost or fee of Dentistry course
The Total expense for doing Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Science and its related fields are as follows
• B.D.S - Rs.60, 000/ per year - (4+1 Years)
• M.D.S - Rs.75, 000/ per year - (2 Years)
Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administration.
A dentist should also develop qualities like
Deep knowledge of the field,
• Good diagnosing ability
• Caring nature
• Good communication and
• Counseling skills
Higher Education Options:
After successful completion of the Bachelor degree, the options for higher education are plenty. A person with the above degree can opt for higher education in the following fields.
• M.D.S( Masters in Dental Science)
• Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
• Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)
The salary can be from Rs.10, 000 to Rs.23, 000 for fresh graduates and increases with experience and knowledge.
Top Institutes and colleges of Dentistry
1) College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
2) Maulana Azad Institute, Delhi
3) Govt Dental Coll & Hospital, Mumbai
4) Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai
5) Dr R. Ahmed Dental College, Kolkata
6) Bapuji Dental Coll & Hospital, Dawangere
7) College of Dental Sciences, Dawangere
8) Faculty of Dental Sciences, Lucknow
9) Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai
10) Govt Dental College, Bangalore
11) Saveetha Dental College, Chennai
12) AB Shetty Mem Inst of Dental Sc, Mangalore
13) SRM Dental College, Chennai
14) Amrita Inst of Medical Sciences, Kochi
15) Govt Dental College, Thiruvananthapuram