Human Resources Management refers to managing people or employees. Since for any professional services organization, people are the key assets, the Human Resources (HR) Business Practice plays a big role in the performance of any organization. A human resource person staffs and manages the employees within an organization.
The functions of an HR person include recruitment, management, and providing career direction of the employees within an organization. The more those organizations become knowledge/service/technology-oriented, the more human behavior becomes a competitive factor. Typically organizations follow a five-step HRM cycle: selection, performance, appraisal, rewards and development.
To become a Human Resource professional, it is generally advisable to possess any Bachelor’s Degree (B.E / B.Tech/ B.Sc /B.A.). Though this would form a good foundation for a career in Human Resources, it is desirable if the aspirants specialize themselves with a Master’s degree.
Let us briefly review the various courses available for those who are interested in working in the HR function.
Graduate and Postgraduate Diploma courses with the duration of 12-24 months are available in India and abroad. You could pursue these Diploma courses through distance education too.
Basic eligibility Higher Secondary students (+2) with any group as their major or Diploma holders can choose to pursue an under graduate degree in Human Resource.
Good communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, planning & listening skills, leadership & mentoring skills, competence & time management capacity, problem solving ability, and diplomatic skills among others.
A good HR professional would be a change agent who is also pro-active and full of new ideas.
The course duration for the various programs is as follows:
• Diploma in Human Resource - 2 years.
• BBA in Human Resource - 3 years.
• MBA in Human Resource - 2 years.
• M.A in Human Resources Management and Labor Relations program - one to two-year course in some universities.
What will be the cost or fee of Human Resource
The cost of education may vary from Rs. 50,000 per year at a good institution in India to over Rs. 7.5 Lakhs for a global degree abroad. Bank loans and private loans can be easily arranged by directly contacting the banks through the college administration.
The salary can be from Rs.8,000 to Rs.26,000 for beginners and increases with experience and knowledge.
Top institutes or colleges of Human Resource
• Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI) , Jamshedpur
• Management Development Institute (MDI), Delhi/NCR
• NMAT-SVKMs NMIMS (Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies) , Mumbai (All)
• Institute of Management Technology - IMT , Delhi/NCR
• Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development (SCMHRD) , Pune
• International Management Institute (IMI), Delhi
• Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ranchi
• International School of Business & Media (ISB&M) , Pune
• Institute of Public Enterprise , Hyderabad
• SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, KIIT UNIVERSITY , Bhubaneswar