A library is a repository of materials - books and other formats - that students and professionals access to benefit from the vast knowledge preserved in these forms. A librarian needs proficiency in multiple skills, including the practices, perspectives, and tools of management, information technology, education, and other areas of the libraries. The collection, organization, preservation and dissemination of information resources is a key skill required, along with the political economy of information. Historically, library science also includes archival science.
In regular stream, in all the University Departments, only 2-years PG in Library & Information Science is offered. An Undergraduate (UG) degree or PG degree in any subject is eligible to study this PG course in Library and Information Science course.
CLIS and BLIS are available only in Distance education mode.
For CLIS Higher Secondary passed candidates are eligible.
• C.L.I.S. - 3 Months (IDE Mode) (IDE - institute of distance education)
• B.L.I.Sc. - 1 year (IDE Mode)
• M.L.I.Sc. - 1 year (IDE Mode)
• M.L.I.Sc. - 2 years (Regular stream)
• M.Sc - 2 years (Regular stream) - only in Madras Univ.
• M.Phil - 1 year
Higher Studies / Research Apart from the Certificate course, Ba chelor degree and Master degree, the Doctoral - Full-time/Part-time programmes also available. The University of Madras is encouraging the Full-time Research Scholars by providing University Grants Commission - Junior Research Fellowship (UGC-JRF) and University Research Fellowship (URF).
What will be the cost or fee of information technology course
The total expenditure to complete the full-time Post Graduate course is Rs. 10,000/- (approximately). Many universities support SC / ST / MBC students with scholarships. There are other means of managing the expense. Apart from loans, Earn While You Learn Scheme” helps the economically backward students to complete their Post Graduation.
The approximate course expenses for the Distance Education mode are as follows:
• CLIS - Rs. 1200 - 1500
• B.L.I.Sc. - Rs. 1800 - 2000
• M.L.I.S - Rs. 2300 - 2500
Basic Salary ranges from Rs 9, 000 to Rs 43, 000.
Top institutes or colleges of information technology course
• Manav Rachna International University, Faculty of International Programmes
Faridabad, Delhi – NCR
• Sikkim Manipal University-Manipal, Sikkim
• Apar India Institute Of Management And Technology-New Delhi, Delhi - NCR
• Universal Training Solutions Pvt. Ltd.- Pune, Maharashtra
• ITMR- Patna, Bihar
• Surajmal Agrawal Pvt Kanya Mahavidyala- Kichha, Uttarakhand (Uttaranchal)
• Aalisha Polytechnic-New Delhi, Delhi - NCR
• Soffpro Institute-New Delhi, Delhi - NCR
• JLJ Academy of Computer Technology-Faridabad, Delhi - NCR
• Aditya Institute of Technology, Delhi- New Delhi, Delhi - NCR
• Gandikota Business School, Kukatpally- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
• National College for Women, Machhiwara-Ludhiana, Punjab