Medical establishments such as hospitals, dispensaries, clinics, rehabilitation centers and so on are looked upon as edifices of hope by the diseased and the sick. Like any other business, medical establishments are organized institutions. They follow complex processes and want efficient manpower to supervise these processes.
Hospital management and administration is concerned with the organization, staffing, coordination, planning, controlling and evaluating of health services for the masses. The main objective is to offer qualitative healthcare to clients and that too in a cost-effective manner. Specialized hospital administrators have proven how institutions can be managed successfully, proficiently, and economically and in a given time period.
There has been seen an amazing growth in the hospital industry in India, which has lead to a huge demand and fame of the hospital management related courses. The need of professional administrators in the hospitals is growing quickly mostly because the nature of job in hospitals is fairly different from other organizations. Hospitals are expected to offer 24 hours quality service.
Every area of work demands a specialist, experienced and the hospital industry is no different from them. Earlier senior doctors were responsible to play or manage the role of a hospital manager apart from their normal medical responsibilities. In addition, there is diverse increase in the complexity and processes that take place in the successful administration of a modern day hospital. This in turn has lead to a marvelous demand for capable professionals who can handle the day-to-day duties of hospital administration. Skilled professionals are needed for the smooth working of a hospital.
The initial step for a successful career in hospital management and administration is to get an undergraduate course in Hospital Administration. For a Bachelor degree in Hospital Administration (BHA) you require to complete +2 with 50% marks and biology as a compulsory subject. For a postgraduate degree (Masters) in Hospital Administration (MHA), you have to be a graduate in any field. This program is available for both medical and non-medical candidates.
Some institutes provide certificate, diploma and degree courses in hospital management; you can also pursue distance learning and short term courses. The Indian Society of Health Administrators (ISHA) provides a 1 year distance learning course in hospital administration and nursing administration. In addition, the Tamil Nadu Open University (TNOU) provides 2 years MBA distance learning course in Hospital Administration.
What will be the cost- Fees of Hospital management and administration
The annual fee for the 3 years BHA (Bachelor in Hospital Administration) program is around Rs. 40,000. On the other hand, the cost of pursuing MHA (Masters in Hospital Administration) is around Rs. 10,000 per semester with 4 semesters making up the 2 year course duration. However, the actual fee charges may differ from institution to institution.
The salary package of an Hospital administrator working for a medium grade hospital is around Rs.30,000 per month. The annual salary of an administrator in a super specialty 1000-bed hospital can easily go into 1,00,000 of rupees.
Top institutes and colleges of Hospital management and administration
1. All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi
2. NIMS Hyderabad
3. Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences Mesra, Ranchi, Jharkhand
4. IIAS School Of Business & Informatics, Kolkata
5. Indian Institute Of Commerce and Trade, Lucknow
6. The Tata Institute of Social Sciences Mumbai
7. Faculty of Management Studies University of Delhi, Delhi
8. National Institute of Health and Family welfare New Delhi
9. Indian Institute of Health Jaipur, Rajasthan
10. Welingkar Institute Of Management, Mumbai
11. DAV Institute Of Management
12. The Apollo Hospitals spread in different locations of the country
13. Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
14. Punjab University Chandigarh
15. Ishan Institute Of Management And Technology
16. Indian Institute of Health Care Administration Chennai
17. Symbiosis Centre for Health Care Pune, Maharashtra
18. Asian School Of Business Management(ASBM),Shikshya Vihar , Bhubneshwar
19. Indira Gandhi National Open University New Delhi
20. Institute Of Business Studies & Research, Mumbai
21. SNDT Women’s University Mumbai
22. Fostiima Business School, New Delhi
23. Accman Institute Of Management