Many diagnoses require associated tests for confirmation. Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT), also called Clinical Laboratory Science, is an allied health profession that helps in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases through the use of clinical laboratory tests. The course teaches the basics of preclinical subjects like Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, and Blood banking. It provides training in manual methods of blood and other body fluid (urine, sputum) analysis, and drawing blood (Phlebotomy) for testing. They play an important role in collecting the information needed, sampling, testing, reporting and documentation of these investigations.
The course involves training in basic clinical biochemistry including carbohydrate, lipid, and protein metabolism, basic hematology like WBC, RBC, Platelets morphology, its functions and its estimations, coagulation mechanism etc.; in microbiology through basic staining procedures, culture inoculation and antibiotic sensitivity testing. Blood banking involves training for drawing venous blood, blood grouping, Rh matching and cross matching etc.
The students are also trained in the type of blood sample needed for different tests - whether to use plain blood, or blood sample with anticoagulants like citrate, EDTA, Heparin, its optimum and appropriate ratio, order of drawing blood for various tests, centrifugation technique, tourniquet time and so on. Some bigger institutions though arrange for students to observe the auto analyzers etc. with nearby institutions.
After finishing 10 +2 (Higher Secondary)
Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT) - course duration 3 years
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) - course duration 2 years
Certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology (CMLT)- course duration 2 years
B.Sc in Allied Health Science (AHS) course duration 5 years
M.Sc Medical Lab Technology (MLT) (After Under Graduation) course duration 2 years
What will be the cost or fee of Medical Laboratory course
A candidate has to spend between Rs.10, 000 and 25,000 per year for the course. Candidates doing 2 years and 3 years course may have to undertake a project work.
Freshers can earn from rupees 6000 to 8000 initially, which increases with experience and smartness of performance.
Top institutes or colleges of Medical Laboratory course
1) A E I Tibia Unani College Maharashtra
2) A N Magadh Medical College Bihar
3) A L N Rao Memorial Ayurvedic Medical College Karnataka
4) A M Shaikh Homoeopathic Medical College Karnataka
5) A N S S Homoeo College Kerala
6) A R College of Pharmacy Gujarat
7) Abdul Haq Unani Medical College Andhra Pradesh
8) Academy of Medical Sciences Kerala
9) Armed Forces Medical College Maharashtra
10) Amrita Institute of Medical Scriences and Research Centre Kerala
11) The King Institute of Preventive Medicine, Tamil Nadu
12) Vinayaka Missions Kirupananda Variyar Medical College and Hospitals Tamil Nadu
13) Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospitals Pondicherry
14) Vinayaka Mission's Medical College and Hospitals